Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Installing an External Antenna for Laptop

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY OF YOUR LAPTOP AND YOUR WIFI CARD.  ALL MODIFICATIONS DONE ARE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Hi, this post is about how to install an external antenna on to a laptop if your laptop has an internal wifi card without and external antenna socket built into the laptop from the factory.  My laptop is an ASUS Z99JR motherboard version is A8JR with an Integrated 802.11b/g Wireless LAN.

Basically what you need is an external antenna, the appropiate wire connections, a screwdriver and you're done.

I am in the process of purchasing all the stuff needed, so will continue to update this post.  I basically bought some stuff from ebay and some from a guy I found in a forum.  But for others you might have a spare antenna around and all you need to do is just to buy the connections.  

When it comes to the antenna, I would suggest that you use an antenna designed for 2.4ghz range as there is some science behind antennas and its not just about sticking a "coat hanger" into your laptop.  If you would like to DIY your own here is a link http://wireless.gumph.org/articles/homemadeomni.html
I bought a 12db omnidirectional antenna and I have another one which is from my router.  You may have a dead router around then you can use the antenna from that.

With the connectors I decided to buy them as they are reasonably priced and I think it would not be as well done if I DIY it, but thats because my DIY skills are not that good.

2 Feb 2009

So I decided to get these connectors. Its a connection from the laptop internal wifi card connector to the antenna. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300287737084
12" (30CM) U.FL Mini PCI to RP SMA pigtail.  Cost was US8.95 with free shipping to Malaysia. It took about 12 days to arrive from China.  Delivery time was ok considering it was Chinese New Year as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment